This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn commissions from qualifying purchases. Please read the full disclosure here.
So you must be interested to know how to put coffee grounds in a Keurig. There are many convenience factors to using K-Cups in a Keurig, but there are also drawbacks. One of them is that the K-Cups are expensive. A second is that the coffee is not as fresh. A third is the selection of K-Cup coffees are limited. Using fresh coffee grounds can greatly increase the flavor of the coffee and you have a much larger selection. So if you are wondering how to put regular coffee grounds in a Keurig, I’ll discuss that further in this page.
If you’re thinking about buying a Keurig machine and looking up whether you can put coffee grounds in a Keurig, please be sure to check out our reviews of the best Keurig machines.
Getting a Reusuable K-Cup
The first step in putting coffee grinds in a Keurig machine is getting the reusable K-Cup. This is necessary. You cannot put coffee into a Keurig machine like a regular coffee brewer.
The good news is there are many options available for this. Also, it’s not that expensive compared to the cost of coffee in K-Cups. Keurig has their own type of reusable K-Cup that is available.
Click here to view the Keurig My K-Cup at Amazon
In addition to Keurig’s own reusable K-Cup, there are many reusable K-Cups that are not manufactured by Keurig. They can be less expensive, and many people rate them better than the one branded by Keurig.
Click here to view one of Amazon’s best selling reusable K-Cups
This reusable K-Cup is compatible with most Keurig machines. In addition, there are many excellent reviews on this. Seeing many reviews on this product shows that the product has been selling for a while and is proven.
The Optional Paper Filter
The reusable K-Cup will work on its own, but some people have complained about the flavor being weaker than normal. So if you prefer a stronger flavored coffee, this may pose an issue. A reason for weaker flavor is that the water passes through the reusable K-Cup quicker than it does through a regular K-Cup.
One way people fix this issue is by purchasing paper filters. These paper filters hold the water in the reusable K-Cup longer. By doing this, it will help the water to absorb more of the flavor from the coffee grounds. This will lead to a stronger cup of coffee.
Another advantage to using a paper filter is the cleanup process is easier. There is less work involved in cleaning the reusable K-Cup when you just remove the paper filter and throw out the used coffee grounds.
Click here to view a popular paper filter available at Amazon
Using a paper filter in your reusable K-Cup can greatly enhance the flavor of your coffee as it gives the water more time to absorb the coffee flavor. It also makes the cleanup process quicker. So ordering these items is the first step in how to put coffee grounds a Keurig machine.
After Receiving the Reusable K-Cup
After receiving your reusable K-Cup from Amazon, it’s time to put the coffee grounds into your Keurig. Below is a list of steps to follow when using a reusable K-Cup:
- Clean the reusable K-Cup before using it. Wash it with dish soap and water. Then you can dry it with a paper towel or dish towel.
- Optional: Place the paper filter in the reusable K-Cup. Fold the edges of the paper filter over the edges of the reusable K-Cup.
- Put the coffee grounds into the reusable K-Cup or into the filter if you’re using one.
- Close the lid.
- Place the reusable K-Cup into the Keurig machine where you normally place the K-Cups.
- Brew your coffee.
- Remove your reusable K-Cup and dispose of the coffee grounds.
- Wash the reusable K-Cup and it’s ready for next use.
As you can see, there are extra steps involved with using a reusable K-Cup vs a regular K-Cup. At the same time, this gives you a way to use coffee grounds in your Keurig.
Advantages and Disadvantages to Using a Reusable K-Cup
- Increased selection of types of coffee to use
- Fresh coffee beans can be ground and used in a Keurig
- More environmentally friendly and less waste
- Less plastic absorbed through the K-Cup
- Less expensive
- More work involved with filling the K-Cups with coffee
- The reusable K-Cup needs to be cleaned (or rinsed) after each use
- In the event of a malfunction of the reusable K-Cup, it will make a mess
- The Keurig is a more expensive machine compared a standard drip coffee maker
So that covers some of the basics of how to put coffee grounds in a Keurig. The reusable K-Cups are a great way to accomplish putting the coffee grounds into your Keurig. It is also a great way to save money on the regular use of your Keurig coffee maker.
Please send us a message to let us know what your experience has been with using reusable K-Cups. We are always interested to know people’s experiences regarding reusable K-Cups.
Have a great day! Happy brewing!